Saturday 23 January 2010

Storyboard Evolution

Before we film, it is of utmost importance that we have an idea of the exact shots we want to capture, so that we use all of our time efficiently. In order to clarify what shots we need, I drew up a detailed storyboard on the basis of all our previous ideas.

Storyboarding is an effective method of planning for film, because it allows ideas to be succinctly conveyed through the medium of still frames. Storyboards allow people to envisage the film in a way other plans, such as lists or charts, cannot.

The images below show our different stages of storyboarding, from our basic ideas to a structured plan.

I created this very basic storyboard in order to explain our ideas for the narrative, which were discussed in our first group planning session. The drawn images did not represent actual shots, but were simply used to explain what the scene would contain.


These are some examples of shots for key-scenes that Tom, Daniel and I drew for our second class presentation. I drew these particular frames as ideas for shots in the flashback sequence of the OTS.


These are the final storyboards that I drew just before we began filming. Drawing the frames enabled me to get a clearer sense of exactly what shots we needed, and as I completed each frame, I also wrote it down on a list that I will be able to use when we are actually filming.


Overall, the gradual development of accuracy and detail through the use of storyboards has helped me to understand precisely what we are aiming for in terms of raw footage. Whilst filming, I will refer to my list of shots in order to ensure that we acquire exactly what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment